This story is about a 31,800 year old flower. The seeds of this amazing flower were found frozen deep under Siberia which is a region covering central and eastern Russia. After Russian scientists discovered the remains of the plant, the team brought it back to their lab and helped it grow. The reason of the seeds being discovered lies in the help of the animals. Back in the ice-age, an Arctic ground squirrel buried seeds and fruits underground near the Kolyma River in northeastern Siberia. This led to the discovery of the seeds about 30,000 years later.
I think that the discovery of the seeds was wonderful. I'm really amazed at how long the seeds were able to survive even after a period of 31,800 years. It's also fascinating to find out that the plant's history is known. Out of all, I really feel the discovery of the seeds is wonderful because I feel we have another connection to the past now. I feel that this is another step towards really learning about our past, present and future of all plant life.
article and picture from: http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/2012/03/ancient-flower-blooms-again/

No comments:
Post a Comment